Photographs by Parsh | Port Deposit

 

Port Deposit is a historic town, extending for approximately one mile along the east bank of the Susquehanna River .  Having several names prior to 1813, when the governor gave the town its present name, Port Deposit was not an overnight boomtown, for it served mostly as a collection point for lumber floating down river from Pennsylvania .  Fortunately, it was too inconsequential to attract the attention of the invading British in 1813, who bypassed the town in favor of burning a warehouse across the river.